Subject: Quake FAQ 2.0 (part 3 of 3)
From: [email-masked] (Toby Goldstone)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.announce,rec.games.computer.quake.misc

---------------
Technical Stuff
---------------
====
[14] Quake Commands - The Console and Command Line
====
     Once again I am letting a keen Quake player, MephistoX, take control 
of the FAQ for a bit. He has gone through all the console commands and 
listed them all. If you find any errors (not likely) then email either me 
(see the top of the FAQ) or him:

		   MephistoX - [email-masked]

     Oh, something I should I also you let you know is that MephistoX goes 
by the name of Michael Montgomery... 

This list was compiled by Michael Montgomery (me).  This version was 
written on July 11th and tested under Quake Shareware version 0.92.

E-Mail me with corrections/additions at [email-masked] or talk 
to me on the Undernet in #quake...my nick is MephistoX.  Please only send 
me information regarding the current version of Quake.

Much thanks to id Software for creating Quake, Josh Pieper for letting me
test this list out on his computer, and everyone who has contributed to the
list.  Special thanks to Toby Goldstone for including this list in the
Unofficial Quake FAQ, which is available in 
rec.games.computer.quake.announce on the Usenet.

The command line parameters were taken from the Quake docs.  They should 
all work, but they are difficult to test.  There are probably some more 
obscure ones that I do not know yet.

The console commands all do something, although in some cases I could not
figure out exactly what.  There are still quite a few more that I have not
had the time to find yet.

The actions are all in working order (except +use), and I should have all 
of them.

[14-1] Format
======
You should always type the commands EXACTLY as I have typed them with the
following exceptions:

# indicates you should enter a numeric value, decimal values are acceptable
  in some cases
$ indicates you should enter a string (letters/symbols/sometimes numbers)
... indicates you can enter a list of values

A # or $ with a number following it (#1 or $1) simply allows me to identify
multiple #s or $s separately.

Some examples...

color #1 #2

You should type color, a space, a number, a space, and another number.

alias $1 "$2;$3:$4..."

You should type alias, a space, a string, a space, a quotation mark, a 
series of strings separated by semicolons, and finally a quotation mark.

name $

Nothing special, except that as with other Quake commands, if you want to
enter a string with spaces, you must enclose it in quotation marks.  So if
your name was Michael Montgomery, you would type name "Michael Montgomery".

[14-2] Command Line Parameters
======
These can only be run from the command line.

-cdmediacheck
    Quake will periodically check to see if you have changed the CD in the
    CD-ROM drive.  This is very slow on some CD players and unnecessary 
    under Windows 95.  Unless you are frequently changing CDs while playing
    Quake there is no reason to enable this option.

-condebug
    Quake will log all console events to qconsole.log in the id1 directory.

-dedicated #
    Quake starts as a dedicated server.  It's only job is to receive and
    transfer data to and from the clients.  It will not draw graphics or
    perform any other kind of operation.  However, it will run the console,
    which allows you to customize the game.  # is the maximum number of
    players allowed, up to 16 (exception: the B&W TCP/IP stack only allows
    8 players).  A 486/66 (or above) makes a good dedicated server.

-ipxport #
    Specifies a IPX port to be used.  The default is 26000.

-listen #
    Quake starts as a listen server.  Quake will perform normally as if you
    were playing single-player, but will also perform as a server to which
    others can connect.  Note that the person on the listen server always
    starts first and gets network updates the fastest, so they have a
    definite advantage over slow connections.  # is the maximum number of
    players allowed, up to 16 (exception: the B&W TCP/IP stack only allows
    9 players).  A Pentium 90 or higher will make a good listen server.

-mpath
    Enables support for code to use Win95's TCP/IP stack.  Do NOT use this
    under DOS!

-nocdaudio
    Disables CD audio support.

-noipx
    Disables support for IPX.

-nolan
    Disables IPX and TCP/IP support.

-nonet
    Disables network card support.

-noserial
    Disable serial support.

-nosound
    Disables sound card support.

-noudp
    Disables support for TCP/IP.

-safe
    -stdvid, -nosound, -nonet, -nocdaudio combined into one.

-sbinfo
    Displays information on your current Sound Blaster configuration.

-sspeed #
    Sets Quake's playback speed to # Hz.  The default is 11025 Hz (11 KHz).
    Increasing # above 11025 will degrade CPU performance and will not
    increase sound quality because Quake's sound samples are only 11025 Hz
    to begin with.  Decreasing # below 11025 will increase CPU performance
    and save memory, but will degrade sound quality.

-stdvid
    Disables VESA video modes.

-udpport #
    Specifies a UDP port to be used.  The default is 26000.

-winlock
    Windows 95 only.  Quake will not share memory with other applications 
    and will not allow other applications to take memory from itself.  
    Useful on machines with low memory where background applications have 
    to unload parts of Quake in order to load some of their own code.

-winlockunlock
    Windows 95 only.  Quake will load all of itself possible, but will not
    disk cache and will share memory with other applications.

-winmem #
    Windows 95 only.  Quake will allocate # megabytes of memory for itself.
    Note that if # is greater than the amount of free RAM you have, Quake
    will disk-cache the remaining amount of specified megs, which will
    degrade performance.  The default is 8.

[14-3] Console Commands
======
These can be entered from the console, run from the command line if they 
are preceded with a + sign, bound or aliased to a key with bind or alias, 
or run from a config file.  For most commands which have parameters, 
entering the command by itself without parameters will display its current 
setting.

A command whose description is unknown means that I know the command exists
but either do not know what it does or have an idea what it does but am not
very sure.

Also, Quake IS case-sensitive with regard to console commands.  It will 
only accept lowercase entries.

_cl_color #
    Sets the player's colors to #.  # is equal to the color of the shirt
    multiplied by 16 and then adding the color of the pants ($1 and $2 from
    the color commmand, respectively).  The maximum value is 221.  Note 
    that if you change _cl_color, the values of the color command are not
    affected.

_cl_name $
    Sets the player's name to $.

_com_baud #
    Unknown.  Does not seem to be affected by the com# command settings.

_com_init $
    Seems to set the modem init string to $, but is not affected by the 
    com# command settings.

_com_type #
    Unknown.  Does not seem to be affected by the com# command settings.

alias $1 "$2;$3;$4..."
    Alias creates a new Quake command named $1, which is actually a
    collection of already existing Quake commands ($2,$3,$4,etc.).  Note 
    that the commands being aliased to $1 must be enclosed in quotation 
    marks and separated with semi-colons.  Once you have aliased a command 
    you can bind it to a key.  For example, typing the commands

    alias net_game "hostname my_server ; fraglimit 15 ; timelimit 15"
    bind INS net_game

    would cause Quake to set the hostname, frag limit, and time limit every
    time you hit the INSERT key.

ambient_fade #
    Unknown.  The default is 500.

ambient_level #
    Controls the volume of ambient sounds.  The default is .3

begin
    Unknown.  Is not valid from the console.

bf
    Quake performs a background flash identical to the one you see when you
    pick up an item.  This will also cause Quake to reset the palette, 
    which can fix erratic colors under Windows 95.

bgmbuffer #
    Sets the music buffer to # bytes.  The default is 4096 (4K).

bgmvolume #
    Changes the music volume to #, where # is from 0.0 to 1.0.  Not all
    CD-ROM drives support variable volume.  0 is off.

bind $1 $2
    Binds the key $1 to the action $2.  To make the j key the jump key you
    would type "bind j +jump" (without the quotations) and press enter.  
    You can also bind keys to perform console commands.  For example,
    bind r "color 4 4" would cause your character to turn red whenever you
    pressed r.  Whenever the bound action/command contains any spaces, you
    must enclose it in quotation marks.

    The following keys can be bound:

    A-Z                     0-9
   *F1-F12                 *TAB
    ENTER                   SPACE
    BACKSPACE               UPARROW
    DOWNARROW               LEFTARROW
    RIGHTARROW              ALT
    CTRL                    SHIFT
    INS                     DEL
    PGDN                    PGUP
    HOME                    END
    PAUSE                   SEMICOLON

    MOUSE1 (mouse button 1)
    MOUSE2 (mouse button 2)
    MOUSE3 (mouse button 3)

   *~ (tilde)

  * Can only be bound on the command line or in a .cfg file.

    The ESC key cannot be bound.

centerview
    Centers your view.

cd $

    off: turns off the CD audio system.  No more music will be played.
    on: turns on the CD audio system.  Quake will now play music.
    reset: re-initializes the CD audio system.  Useful when you change CDs or
	   insert a CD after you have already started Quake.
    play #: plays track # once.
    loop #: plays track #.  When done it plays the track again.
    stop: stop playing the current track.
    resumre: resume playing the current track.
    eject: ejects the CD.  For CD players without a manual eject button.
    remap #1 #2 #3...: remaps the tracks on the current cd.  Typing
		       remap 1 2 2 5 6 7 8 9 9 on a CD with 9 tracks would 
		       end up with a CD mapped like this:

		       Actual track number   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
		       Remapped to           1 2 2 5 6 7 8 9 9

		       So when Quake is instructed to play track 4, it will
		       actually play track 5.

    info: reports information on the CD-ROM and the CD currently playing.

changelevel $
    Servers only.  Changes the level to $.  See the map $ command for valid
    entries.

cl_anglespeedkey #
    The speed at which the player pitches and turns.  The default is 1.5.

cl_backspeed #
    Sets the player's backward movement speed.  The default is 160.

cl_bob #
    Sets how much the weapon bobs.  The default is 0.02

cl_bobcycle #
    The weapon will cycle through a complete bob in # seconds.  Do not set
    to 0 even if cl_bob is set to 0.  The default is 0.6.

cl_bobup #
    Defines the topmost point of the bob cycle.  The default is 0.5.

cl_forwardspeed #
    How fast the player walks forward.  The default is 200.

cl_movespeedkey #
    When +speed is activated, all normal movement rates are multiplied 
    by #.
    The default is 2.0

cl_nolerp #
    Unknown.

cl_pitchspeed #
    The speed at which the player's pitch is changed when +lookup and
    +lookdown are activated.  Keyboard only.  The default is 100.

cl_rollangle #
    Controls the angle that the player leans when making fast turns.  The
    default is 2.0.

cl_rollspeed #
    Controls the speed at which the player leans on turns.  The default is
    200.

cl_shownet #

    0: Quake will not display numbers.
    1: Quake will display numbers.

    The meaning of the numbers is unknown, but I think it is related to the
    amount of client-server traffic as it increases whenever you do 
    anything.

cl_sidespeed #
    Controls the strafing speed of the player.  The default is 350.

cl_upspeed #
    The speed at which the player floats using +moveup.  The default is 
    200.

cl_yawspeed #
    The speed at which the player turns using +left and +right.  The 
    default is 140.

clear
    Clears the console buffer.

cmd
    Unknown.  Cannot be used while not connected to a server.

color #1 #2
    Sets your player's shirt color to #1 and your pants color to #2.  
    Values are from 1 to 13.  The colors are as follows:

    1:  White
    2:  Brown
    3:  Sky Blue
    4:  Olive Green
    5:  Red
    6:  Gold
    7:  Salmon
    8:  Lavender
    9:  Purple
    10: Tan
    11: Forest Green
    12: Yellow
    13: Blue

com# $
    # is the number of the com port you wish to set up.  Typing com# 
    without a parameter will list the currents settings.  Note that com by
    itself is not a command, it must have a 1 or 2 immediately following 
    it.

    enable:  initializes the com port.  You cannot change the settings on 
	     an enabled port.
    disable: disables the com port.  You can now change the settings.  All
	     com ports are disabled by default.
    modem:   tells Quake that com port # is a modem.
    direct:  tells Quake that com port # is a direct connection (serial 
	     etc).
    dial:   sets modem for dial-up operation.
    answer: sets modem to answer incoming calls.
    reset:  resets the com port to the default settings.
    port #: sets the hex address of the com port (COM1=0x3f8 COM2=0x2f8)
    irq #:  sets the IRQ of the com port (COM1=4 COM2=3)
    baud #: sets the UART baud rate.  This is the speed of the computer
	    talking to the modem, not the modem talking to the remote 
	    modem. Valid values are 9600, 14400, 28800, 57600, 115200.  
	    57600 is the default.
    8250:   sets the UART type to 8250.
    16550:  sets the UART type to 16550.  This is the default.
    startup $:  $ is the init string for your modem (ATZ).
    shutdown $: $ is the hangup string for your modem (ATH).
    +cts:   Quake will honor the "clear to send" signal.
    -cts:   Quake will ignore the "clear to send" signal.
    +dsr:   Quake will honor the "data set ready" signal.
    -dsr:   Quake will ignore the "data set ready" signal.
    +cd:    Quake will honor the "carrier detect" signal.
    -cd:    Quake will ignore the "carrier detect" signal.
    
con_notifytime #
    Quake will display messages for # seconds before clearing them from the
    top of the screen.  Setting # to 0 will eliminate all messages.  The
    default is 3.

connect "$"
    Quake will attempt to connect to a Quake server at $.  If $ is a phone
    number (5551212), Quake will dial the number (providing the modem is
    properly set up).  If $ is an IPX address (00FADE23:00aa00b9b5b2), 
    Quake will search the network for this address.  If $ is a server name
    (My_Server), it will search the network for this server.  If $ is an IP
    address (204.145.67.122) and you are connected to the Internet, Quake
    will connect to this address.  Note that on networks Quake will not
    cross routers.

coop #

    0: This is not a cooperative game.
    1: This is a cooperative game.

d_mipcap #
    Controls the detail level.  The maximum is 3, the default is 0.

d_mipscale #
    Controls the distance at which objects and walls become blurry.  The
    default is 1.

d_subdiv16 #
    Tells Quake how often to perform a certain type of texture error
    checking.  This is only noticeable on textures viewed from extreme
    angles.

    0: Quake performs corrections on every pixel.
    1: Quake performs corrections on every 16th pixel.

    0 will result in perfectly drawn walls, but slows performance.  1 will
    result in hardly-noticeable defects, but increases performance.  The
    default setting is 1.

deathmatch #

    0: This is not a deathmatch game.
    1: This is a deathmatch game.
    2: Old style (DOOM) deathmatch game.

    The default is 0.

demos
    If Quake is not currently playing demos, it will start playing them 
    when you enter this command.  If Quake is currently playing demos, it 
    will stop playing the current demo and being playing the next one.

developer #

    0: Unknown
    1: Unknown

    I think it enables developer mode, but what developer mode does I have
    no clue.  The default is 0.

disconnect
    Disconnects client from server.

echo $
    Displays $ for this station only, will not broadcast $ to other 
    stations.
    Useful with aliases and bindings.
    
edict #
    An edict is similar to a 'thing' in Doom.  Displays information on 
    edict number #.

edictcount
    Gives a summary on the types and numbers of edicts in the current game.

edicts
    Displays information on all edicts.

entities
    Gives a list of every model in the game (item, player, monster, etc.)

exec $
    Quake will search the ID1 subdirectory for the file $.  It will then
    execute the commands in the file line-by-line, just as if you had typed
    them individually in the console.

flush
    Unknown.  Causes Quake to load some data.

fly
    Toggles flight mode.

fov #
    Determines the size of the field of view.  This tells Quake to distort
    the image so that you may sit at different distances from the monitor 
    and have it look OK.  The minimum is 5, the maximum is 80, the default
    is 20. This change will not take effect until the video mode is changed
    or the screen size is altered.

fraglimit #
    In Deathmatch, Quake will end the game after someone scores # frags.
    The default is 20.

gamma #

    < 1: Brightens the display.
    1: Sets display brightness to normal.
    > 1: Darkens the display.

give #
    Gives the player weapon number #.

    1: Axe
    2: Shotgun
    3: Double Barreled Shotgun
    4: Nailgun
    5: Supernailgun
    6: Grenade Launcher
    7: Rocket Launcher
    8: Thunderbolt

give $

    c #: You get # cells.
    h #: You get # health.  Without parameters you will die, but Quake will
	 not recognize that you are dead (this is bad).
    n #: You get # flechettes (nails).
    r #: You get # grenades (rockets).
    s #: You get # shells.

god
    Toggles god mode.

help
    Displays the help screen.

host_framerate #
    Unknown.

host_speeds
    Unknown.

hostname "$"
    When someone searches the network for a Quake game using the slist
    command, this is the name that will show up for your server.  The 
    default is "unnamed".

impulse #

    1: Axe
    2: Shotgun
    3: Double Barreled Shotgun
    4: Nailgun
    5: Supernailgun
    6: Grenade Launcher
    7: Rocket Launcher
    8: Lightning Gun
    9: All ammo, guns, and keys.
    10: Switch to next available weapon.
    255: Quad Damage Power-Up

joybuttons #
    Unknown.  The default is 4.

joystick #
    Unknown.  The default is 1.

kick $
    Server only.  Kicks the player named $ off of the server.

kill
    Player commits suicide.  Useful for when you become stuck in a wall or
    something odd happens.

killserver
    On a server, this causes Quake to stop acting as a server, effectively
    disconnecting any clients.

listen #
    Unknown.  Can be 0 or 1.  Default is 0.

load $
    Quake will load the savegame $.sav.

lookspring #

    0: When you release the mlook key your view will not center.
    1: When you release the mlook key your view automatically centers.

lookstrafe #

    0: +mlook behaves as normal.
    1: +mlook causes the mouse to strafe left and right instead of turning
       left and right.

    The default is 0.

m_filter #
    Controls how far the mouse must move before Quake will take it's input.
    The default is 1.

m_forward #
    Controls the forward and backward sensitivity of the mouse.  The 
    default is 1.

m_pitch #
    Controls the look up and down sensitivity of the mouse while mlook is 
    on. The default is 0.022.

m_side #
    Controls the mouse's strafing sensitivity while lookstrafe is 1.  The
    default is 0.8.

m_yaw #
    Controls the turning speed of the mouse.  The default is 0.022.

maxplayers #
    Sets the maximum number of players to #.  Cannot be changed while a
    server is running.

map $
    Begins a new game at map $.  Valid entries are as follows:

    start: Introduction

    Dimension of the Doomed
    e1m1: The Slipgate Complex
    e1m2: Castle of the Damned
    e1m3: The Necropolis
    e1m4: The Grisly Grotto
    e1m5: Gloom Keep
    e1m6: The Door to Chthon
    e1m7: The House of Chthon
    e1m8: Ziggurat Vertigo

    Realm of Black Magic
    e2m1: The Installation
    e2m2: Ogre Citadel
    e2m3: Crypt of Decay
    e2m4: The Ebon Fortress
    e2m5: The Wizard's Manse
    e2m6: The Dismal Oubliette
    e2m7: Underearth

    Netherworld
    e3m1: Termination Central
    e3m2: The Vaults of Zin
    e3m3: The Tomb of Terror
    e3m4: Satan's Dark Delight
    e3m5: Wind Tunnels
    e3m6: Chambers of Torment
    e3m7: The Haunted Halls -- by American McGee

    The Elder World
    e4m1: The Sewage System
    e4m2: The Tower of Despair
    e4m3: The Elder God Shrine
    e4m4: The Palace of Hate
    e4m5: Hell's Atrium
    e4m6: The Pain Maze
    e4m7: Azure Agony
    e4m8: The Nameless City

    end: Shub-Niggurath's Pit

    Note that anything beyond Dimension of the Doomed is only in the
    registered version.

menu_keys
    Brings up the customize keys menu.

menu_load
    Brings up the load game menu.

menu_main
    Brings up the main menu.

menu_net
    Brings up the network menu.

menu_options
    Brings up the options menu.

menu_save
    Brings up the load game menu.

messagemode
    Starts a say command, which is then broadcast to all connected 
stations.

name $
    Sets your player name to $.

net_messagetimeout #
    Quake will wait # seconds for a message to arrive before deciding the
    connection has died.  The default is 3 minutes (180).  Messages usually
    arrive at 20 per second.

net_stats
    Displays network statistics.

noclip
    Toggles no clipping mode.

nosound

    0: Quake will load and play sound effects.
    1: Quake will not load or play further sound effects.

    The default is 0.

notarget
    Toggles no targeting mode.  Monsters will not attack or notice you 
    unless they have already seen you or you attack them.

path
    Displays Quake's search paths where it looks for files.

pausable

    0: the game cannot be paused.
    1: the game can be paused.

pause
    Toggles whether Quake is paused or not.

ping
    Pings the clients and returns the response time.

play $
    Quake will play the sound file $ (must be WAV(RIFF) or AIFF format) at
    100% volume at the player's location.

playdemo $
    Plays the demo $ in the ID1 directory or the PAK0.PAK file.

playvol $ #
    Quake will play sound file $ (must be WAV(RIFF) or AIFF format) at #
    percent volume.  If you specify more than one $, Quake will play both
    sounds simultaneously.

pointfile
    Used in the creation of new levels to find leaks.  Quake will draw a 
    line from the leak to the nearest entity.  Described in more detail in
    the readme to the qbsp, vis, and light sources.

precache
    Unknown.  The default is 1.

prespawn
    Unknown.  Not valid from the console.

profile
    Quake will display its internal diagnostics.  Crashes Quake when you
    are not connected.

quit
    Quits Quake to the OS.

r_aliastransadj #
    Unknown.  The default is 100.

r_aliastransbase #
    Unknown.  The default is 200

r_aliasstats #

    0: Quake will not display information about currently visible models.
    1: Quake will display information about currently visible models.

    The default is 0.

r_ambient #
    Unknown.  The default is 0.

r_clearcolor #
    The color of the space outside the map.

r_drawentities #

    0: Quake will not draw any entities.
    1: Quake will draw entities.

    The default is 1.

r_drawflat #

    0: Quake will draw walls as normal.
    1: Quake will draw walls filled with colors instead of textures.

    The default is 0.

r_draworder #

    0: Quake will draw walls in normal order, closest in front.
    1: Quake will draw walls in reverse order, farthest in front.

    The default is 0.

r_drawviewmodel #

    0: Quake will not draw your weapons on-screen.
    1: Quake will draw your weapons on-screen.

    The default is 1.

r_dspeeds #

    0: Quake will not display timing information.
    1: Quake will display timing information.

    The default is 0.

r_fullbight #

     0: Quake will draw shadows and dark areas.
     1: Quake will ignore shadows and draw everything at full brightness.

r_graphheight #
    Controls the height in pixels of the graph drawn when r_timegraph is 
    on.
    The default is 10.

r_maxedges #
    Unknown.  The default is 2000.

r_maxsurfs #
    Unknown.  The default is 1000.

r_polymodelstats #

    0: Quake will not report the number of on-screen polygon models.
    1: Quake will report the number of on-screen polygon models.

    The default is 0.

r_reportedgeout #
    Unknown.  The default is 0.

r_reportsurfout #
    Unknown.  The default is 0.

r_speeds #

    0: Quake will not display basic timing data.
    1: Qauke will display basic timing data.

    The default is 0.

r_timegraph #

    0: Quake will not draw a graph.
    1: Quake will draw a graph depicting something.  The height of the 
       graph is determined by r_graphheight.

    The default is 0.

r_waterwarp #

    0: Underwater scenes are not wavy.
    1: Underwater scenes are wavy.

    The default is 1.

reconnect
    Unknown.  It doesn't seem to reconnect anything.

record $1 $2 #
    Quake will record a demo named $1.dem on map $2.  Optionally, it will
    play music track number # when the demo is replayed.

registered #

    0: Quake will think you are playing the shareware version.
    1: Quake will think you are playing the registered version.

    This does not give you the registered levels or alter the shareware 
    game in any way.  It does, however, remove the bars blocking the other
    episodes on the start level, but you still can't play them.

restart
    Quake will reload the current map, starting the level over.

samelevel #

    0: When a level is exited you will proceed to the next level.
    1: When a level is exited you will restart at the beginning of the same
       level.

    This is very useful for deathmatch games.  The default is 0.

save $
    Saves the game to $.sav

say $
    Quake will broadcast $ to all connected stations.

say_team $
    Quake will broadcast $ to all members of your team.

sbinfo
    Displays information on your current Sound Blaster configuration.

scr_centertime #
    Quake will display the special messages that appear at the center of 
    the screen for # seconds before clearing them.  The default is 8.

scr_conspeed #
    Sets the speed of the console raising/lowering to #.  The default is 
    300.

scr_ofsx #
    Offsets your viewpoint by # pixels on the X-axis.  The default is 0.

scr_ofsy #
    Offsets your viewpoint by # pixels on the Y-axis.  The default is 0.

scr_ofsz #
    Offsets your viewpoint by # pixels on the Z-axis.  The default is 0.

scr_printspeed #
    Unknown.  The default is 8.

screenshot
    Quake takes the current screen and saves it in PCX format in the file
    quake##.pcx, where ## is the next available screenshot number.  If you
    took 3 screenshots, you would have quake01.pcx, quake02.pcx, and
    quake03.pcx.  If you deleted quake02.pcx, the next screenshot you took
    would be quake02.pcx, because 02 is the next available screenshot 
    number.

sensitivity #
    Sets the mouse sensitivity to #.  If # is negative, the mouse controls
    are reversed.  The default is 3.

showpause #

    0: Quake will not display the pause plaque when the game is paused.
    1: Quake will display the pause plaque when the game is paused.

    The default is 1.

showram #

    0: Quake will not display the RAM icon when it is running low on 
       memory.
    1: Quake will display the RAM icon when it is running low on memory.

    The default is 1.

showturtle #

    0: Quake will not display the turtle when your frames-per-second are 
       less than 10.
    1: Quake will display the turtle when your frames-per-second are less
       than 10.

    The default is 0.

sizedown
    Decreases viewsize by 10.

sizeup
    Increases viewsize by 10.

skill #
    Sets the skill level to #.  Valid entries are:

    0: Easy
    1: Normal
    2: Hard
    3: Nightmare

slist
    Searches the LAN or null modem connection for Quake servers and 
    displays any that it finds.  It will not cross routers.  The names of 
    the servers found are specified by the hostname command.

snd_noextraupdate #
    Unknown.  The default is 0.

snd_show #

    0: Quake will not display the number of sounds currently playing and 
       their names.
    1: Quake will display the number of sounds currently playing and their
       names.

soundinfo
    Lists information on your current sound setup within Quake.

soundlist
    Will list all the sounds Quake currently has cached into memory, along
    with additional information on each sound.

spawn
    Unknown.  Is not valid from the console.

status
    Gives information on the state of the current game.

stopsounds
    Halts all currently playing sounds.

stuffcmds
    Quake will process command line arguments.  Should only be used in
    the initialization file QUAKE.RC, which is found in PAK0.PAK in the ID1
    directory.

sv_accelerate #
    Sets the acceleration rate for players.  The default is 10.

sv_aim #
    Controls how far from a target you must be aiming before Quake will
    automatically target it for you.  0 means you can't miss, 1 means you
    fire exactly where you aim.  The default is 0.93

sv_friction #
    Controls the ground friction.  Low values cause the player to behave as
    if he were on ice.  The default is 4.

sv_gravity #
    Controls the gravity.  Negative values cause things to float upwards.
    The default is 800.

sv_idealpitchscale #
    Controls how much the player's vertical pitch changes when look up/down
    stairs or inclines.  The default is 0.8.

sv_maxspeed #
    Sets the maximum possible speed of a player to #.  The default is 320.

sv_maxvelocity #
    Limits the velocity of any projectile/object to #.  The default is 
    2000.

sv_nostep #

    0: Players can walk up steps.
    1: Players cannot walk up steps without jumping.

    The default is 0.

sv_stopspeed #
    Controls how fast players decelerate.  The default is 100.

sys_ticrate #
    Only used by servers.  Quake will send out an update every # seconds.
    The default is 0.05 (20 per second).  For modem or internet play, or on
    a network with limited bandwidth, changing # to 0.1 (10 updates per 
    second) will half the amount of data being received by the clients, 
    which will result in very slightly reduced responsiveness, but much 
    faster gameplay.

teamplay #
    Deathmatch only.

    0: Players with same-colored pants can hurt each other.
    1: players with same-colored pants cannot hurt each other.

    Note that they can still take away armor, just not health.  The default
    is 0.

tell
    Untested.

temp1 #
    Unknown.

timedemo
    Untested.

timelimit #
    Quake will quit the current level and start a new one after # minutes.

timerefresh
    Quake will spin the character around once and display the average 
    number of frames per second.

toggleconsole
    Toggles the console on and off.

togglemenu
    Brings up the main menu if there are no menus on screen, or exits all
    menus if there are menus on screen.

unbindall
    Unbinds all keys.

v_centerspeed #
    Controls how fast your view centers after you release mlook.  The 
    default is 500.

v_idlescale #
    Controls how wavy your view is.  The wavy effect on the intermission
    screen is generated using this command.  The default is 0.

v_kickpitch #
    Sets how far the player's viewpoint is temporarily thrown off when they
    are wounded.  The default is 0.6.

v_kickroll #
    Controls how much the player leans when wounded.  The default is 0.6.

v_kicktime #
    Controls how long the player shakes after being wounded.  The default 
    is 0.5.

version
    Displays information on your current version of Quake.

vid_describecurrentmode
    Describes the current video mode.

vid_describemode #
    Describes video mode #.  # is the number of the mode reported by
    vid_describemodes.

vid_describemodes
    Lists all available video modes, built-in and VESA.

vid_mode #
    Switches the video mode to mode #.  Quake has 11 built-in modes:

    0:  320x200
    1:  320x200
    2:  360x200
    3:  320x240
    4:  360x240
    5:  320x350
    6:  360x350
    7:  320x400
    8:  360x400
    9:  320x480
    10: 360x480

    0 is the default mode.  Modes above 10 are not built in, but are VESA
    modes which may be supported by Quake and your hardware.  Use
    vid_describemodes to see the available VESA modes.

vid_nopageflip
    Affects VESA modes only.

    0: Page flipping is disabled on all VESA modes.
    1: Page flipping is enabled on all VESA modes that support it.

    1 will increase video speed and quality depending on the amount of
    available video memory.  0 will degrade quality significantly and 
    should be avoided except in the case of hardware problems.  1 is the 
    default.

vid_nummodes
    Reports the total number of video modes available.

vid_testmode #
    Switches Quake to mode # for 5 seconds, then switches back to the 
    current mode.  This allows you to test modes that may be incompatible 
    (black screen, garbage all over screen) and return to the current mode
    so that you are not permanently stuck with a garbled screen.  However,
    in some situations hardware incompatibilities may cause the system to 
    hang anyway.

vid_wait #
    Sets the type of waiting that the video adapter should do.

    0: no waiting
    1: wait for vertical sync
    2: wait for display enable

    0 tells Quake to update the screen whenever Quake is ready.  1 tells
    Quake to update the screen whenever the monitor is ready.  2 tells 
    Quake to update the screen whenever the video card is ready.  0 is 
    slightly faster than 2, which is much faster than 1.  However, 0 and 2
    will result in more shearing/tearing than 1, but at high speeds this is
    hardly noticeable.

viewsize #
    Sets the size of the viewing area on the screen.  The minimum is 20,
    the maximum is 130.  The default is 100 (full screen with status bars).

[14-4] Actions
======
These can be bound or aliased from the console or a config file, or entered
in the console.  If you enter a + action in the console your player will
perform that action until you somehow stop him from doing so.  The + in 
front of the action tells Quake you wish to begin the action.  If you were 
to precede the action with a - it would cease that action.  - actions are 
only used with aliases or when using actions from the console, Quake will
automatically perform the - action whenever you release a key bound to a +
action.  For example,

alias rambo "+attack"

would cause the player to constantly attack because a -attack was not put 
in the alias.  To have the player only attack once or twice you could use

alias conserve_ammo "+attack;wait;-attack"

+attack
    Attack.

+back
    Move backward.

+forward
    Move forward.

+jump
    Jump.

+klook
    Affects keyboard controls only.  +forward and +back become +lookup and
    +lookdown, respectively.

+left
    Turn left.

+lookdown
    Look down.

+lookup
    Look up.

+mlook
    The mouse controls your view rather than your movement.

+movedown
    When flying or no clipping, the character will float downwards.

+moveleft
    Strafe left.

+moveright
    Strafe right.

+moveup
    When flying or not clipping, the character will float upwards.

+right
    Turn right.

+showscores
    Shows the Deathmatch scores in deathmatch or the current monster/item/
    secret/time total in cooperative/single player modes.

+speed
    Your movement speed is doubled (you run).

+strafe
    +left and +right will cause the player to step left or right instead of
    turning.

+use
    Unknown.

====
[15] Key binding, aliases and config files
====

[15-1] Binding keys
======
     Key binding is a really useful function that allows you assign a
commonly used function to a key (ie bind a function to a key).
     The format used for key binding is very simple:

     bind <key> <command>

     For example, press the [~] key and type the following:

     bind enter +showscores

     This will bind the [ENTER] key to the 'showscores' item, which
displays the frag count in deathmatch. So start up a game of deathmatch 
and press [ENTER] to check it out.
     Binding the echo command is also useful, as it provides the player
with some information to whats going on. For example:

     bind Q "echo You pressed the Q key!"

     Note: Key bindings to the character keys *are* case-sensitive. It's
best to stick to non capitals, and keep [CAPS] *off*.

[15-1-1] Bindable keys
--------
A-Z                     0-9
*F1-F12                 *TAB
ENTER                   SPACE
BACKSPACE               UPARROW
DOWNARROW               LEFTARROW
RIGHTARROW              ALT
CTRL                    SHIFT
INS                     DEL
PGDN                    PGUP
HOME                    END
PAUSE                   SEMICOLON

MOUSE1 (mouse button 1)
MOUSE2 (mouse button 2)
MOUSE3 (mouse button 3)

*~ (tilde)

* Can only be bound on the command line or in a .cfg file.

The ESC key cannot be bound. 

[15-2] Aliases
======
     Aliases are commands that you type in (or bind to a key) to perform a
longer task. For example:

     alias coolserver "connect 193.111.222.333"

     This creats an alias called coolserver. Now all you need to do is go
to the console [~] and type 'coolserver' to connect to that server. Note:
The ip address above is an example, not a real Quake server, so don't
bother trying to connect to it

     Another good alias to use if you like map E1M8 (Zigguart Vertigo) 
would be:

     alias zigg "map e1m8"

     All you have to do now is type 'zigg' at the console to play the 
level.

[15-3] Config files
======
     Typing all your bindings and aliases in every time you play Quake
would be a real pain, so Quake lets you use a personal config file.
     Load up EDIT, notepad or whatever text editor you prefer, and type in
all of your bindings and aliases. Save the file as 'myconfig.cfg' in the 
/id1/ directory. Quake will automatically load ot for you everytime you
start quake.
     For an example of a good config, check out section [13-6].            
     
====
*16* Multiplayer: Modem & Direct Connect
====
     When playing over a modem I prefer to use the console to set up and
join a game. Its easier and more prone to work.

[16-1] System Requirements
======
     Quake - newest version available. This is necessary to ensure both you
and your opponents versions of Quake are compatible.
     DOS or Windows 95. I recommend DOS for modem games, as it tends to be
slightly faster.
     8mb RAM. Generally speaking, the more the better.
     14.4k modem or better. 14.4k is *very* dodgy... I'd recommend a 28.8k
modem if you intend on modeming a lot.
     or
     A Null Modem cable. These cost about £15 ($25) from a computer shop.

[16-2] Starting a game of Quake
======
1.   Change to you Quake dir (default c:\quake_sw) and type the following:
'Quake -listen'.
2.   Go to the multiplayer/modem/start game menu and setup your game. Look
at section [4-2-5] for information on how to do this.
3.   Press the [~] key.
4.   Type the following: 'COMX baud X modem startup (INIT string) enable',
for example: 'COM1 baud 28800 modem startup ATZ enable'. For a list of 
modem init strings check out section [15-4]. For direct connect games do
*not* bother typing in an INIT string, you don't need it. 
5.   Type the following: 'Hostname X', where X is what you want to call
your game of Quake.
6.   You are now ready to accept incoming calls through your modem or null
modem cable.

[16-3] Joining a game of Quake
======
1.   Change to you Quake dir (default c:\quake_sw) and load Quake in the
normal way (type 'Quake').
2.   Press the [~] key.
3.   Type the following: 'COMX baud X modem startup (INIT string) enable',
for example: 'COM1 baud 28800 modem startup ATZ enable'. For a list of 
modem INIT strings check out section [15-4]. For direct connect games do
*not* bother typing in an INIT string, you don't need it. 
4.   Type the following: 'connect XXXXXXXXXX', where XXXXXXXXXX is the
servers telephone number. For direct connect games type 'connect #'
5.   Type the following: 'slist'. This will bring up a list of Quake games
on that server.
6.   Type the following: 'connect X', where X is the name of the Quake game
you wish to join.
7.   You should now be ready to play... have fun.

[16-4] Modem INIT strings
======
     These have been ripped from techinfo.txt, but have been included here
for your reference.

Boca M1440i (internal):
ATS48=0S37=9S46=136%C0%E0%M0&K0&Q0&R1&C1&D2\G0\N1N0

Boca 14.4k (internal):
AT&C0N0S37=9&K0W0&Q0S36=3S48=128%C0

Boca 14.4 Fax/Modem
AT S46=0 S37=9 N0 &Q0 &D2 &K4

Boca 14.4k (external):
AT &F S0=1 S36=0 &K0 &Q6N0S37=9 &D2

Boca 14.4k:
AT S46=0 S37=9 N0 &Q0 &D2 &K0 %C0

Cardinal 14.4k v.32bis, v.42bis Fax/Modem:
AT &F N0 S37=9 &Q0 &D2 \N1

Digicom Systems (DSI) (softmodem):
AT Z \N0 &D2 &K0 S48=48

Digicom Systems Scout Plus:
ATZ*E0*N3*M0*S0*F0&D2

Gateway Telepath:
AT &F S37=9 %C0 &K0 &Q6 \G0

Gateway Telepath 14.4k:
AT S46=0 S37=9 N0 &Q0 &D2 &K0 %C0

Gateway Telepath I:
AT S0=1 &N6 &K0 &M0

Gateway Telepath II:
AT S0=1 S37=9 %C0 &Q0 &K0

Generic v.32bis 14.4k Fax/Modem:
AT \N0 %C0 B8

Generic 14.4k Fax/Modem:
AT S46=0 S37=9 N0 &Q0 &D2 %C0 \G0 &K0

GVC 14.4k (internal):
AT &F B8 \Q0

Hayes 28.8k V.FAST Modem:
AT &Q6 &K S37=9 N %C0 \N0

Infotel 144I:
AT&Q0 S37=9 N0 &D2

Infotel 14.4:
&F0 \N1 &D2 S37=F8

Intel 14.4k:
AT \N0 %C0 \Q0 B8

Intel 14.4k (internal):
AT Z B8 Q1 \C0 \N1 %C0 \V "H

Linelink 144e:
AT &F &D1 &K0 &Q6 S36=3 S46=136 %C0
19200

Microcom AX:
&F \N1 \Q0 &D2

Microcom QX/4232bis:
AT %C0 \N0

Netcomm M7F:
AT &E &K0 B0 \V0 X4 &D2 \N1 \Q0 #J0 #Q9 %C0

Nokia ECM 4896M Trellis V.32:
AT Z %C0 /N0

Nuvotel IFX 14.4 (internal):
&F \N1 &D2 

Practical Peripherals 14400FX v.32bis:
AT Z S46=0 &Q0 &D2

Practical Peripherals 14400FX v.32bis:
AT S46=0 &Q0 &K0 &D2

Supra:
AT &F0 S46=136 %C0

Supra (external):
AT &K &Q &D \N1

Supra 14.4k v.32bis:
AT &F S46=136 &Q0 &D2

Supra 14.4k v.32bis:
AT &K &Q &D \N1

Supra Fax Modem 14.4K v.32 bis
AT &F %C0 S48=7 Q0 V1 W1

Telepath 14.4k:
AT &F&M0&K0&N6&H0 S0=1

Twincomm DFi 14.4:
AT&F &Q0 %C0 S37=9 &D2

UDS V.3223:
&F \N1 \Q &D2

UDS Fastalk 32BX:
&F0 \N1 &D2

USR Courier v.32bis:
ATS0=1 S7=60 E1 Q0 V1 &C1 &D2 &H0 &K0 &M0 &N6 &A3

USR Courier HST/DS 16.8k:
First reset the modem in a communication program with AT&F&W
AT X4 B0 &A0 &B0 &H2 &I0 &K0 &M0 &N6a

USR DS v.32bis v.42bis (external):
AT&m0&n6&a0&r1&h0&k0&i0&s0&b1x1

USR Sporster 9600:
AT&M0&K0&N6

USR Sportster V.34 28.8 (note: works best at 19200 baud):
AT &F &M0 &I0 &K0 &B0 &N0

USR Sportster 14.4k Fax/Modem USING ERROR CORRECTION:
AT S0=1 S7=60 E1 QO V1 &C1 &D2 &K0 &N6 &A3

USR Sportster 14.4k Fax/Modem (internal):
AT &F&M0&K0&N6&H0

USR Sportster 14.4k (internal):
AT &F &B1 &H0 &I0 &K0 &M0 &N6 &R1

USR Sportster 14.4k:
ATS0=1S7=60E1Q0V1&C1&D2&K0&N6&A3

USR Sportster 14.4k:
AT &F0 &K0 &M0 &N6 &H0 &I0 &B1 &R1

USR Sportster 14,000 Fax Modem:
AT S0=2 &N6 &K0 &M0 &I0 &H0 &R1 &A0 V1 X4

USR 14.4k:
AT &F&A0&K0&M0

USR 14.4k
AT &K0 &H0 &D0 &I0 &R1

USR 14.4k Dual Standard
ATB0&R1&B1&N6Q0X4&A0&D2&H0&I0&K0&M0M1

USR (model?):
&F E1 V1 X4 &C1 &D2 &N0             

ViVa 14.4k:
AT&F&Q6\N0%C0&D2N0S37=9

ViVa modem (internal):
&F&Q6\N0%C0&D2N0S37=9

Zoltrix model 14/14 VE:
AT S0=Q0 V1 &C1 &D2 W2 &Q0

Zoom 14.4k VFX:
AT&Q6S37=9N0%C\N0

Zoom 14.4k VFX:
AT&Q6S37=11N0%C&K0

Zoom OEM Modem:
AT&Q6S37=9N0&K0

Zyxel U-1496E:
AT Z &N4 &K0

====
[17] Multiplayer: Internet
====
     _psychic_ (http://www.worldchat.com/public/ahazen) gave me some basic
stuff about this, which has been absorbed into my work. His original 
document bears no resemblence to whats below, but he did let me use it, so
he gets a worthy mention in the FAQ.

[17-1] System Requirements
======
     Quake - newest version available. This is necessary to ensure both you
and your opponents versions of Quake are compatible.
     Windows 95. You *can* play Quake over the internet in DOS, but from 
what I hear its a slow and painful task. Most people only want to play in 
DOS because they don't have 16mb RAM, and with memory prices being what 
they are, I expect everyone to have 16mb very soon. In other words, I don't 
intend to support DOS Internet connections, unless someone wants to send me 
the details.
     16mb RAM. If you don't have this, you can't play Quake in Windows 95.
     28.8k modem or better. I tried to play Quake over the internet on a 
14.4k modem, and it just doesn't work. It freezes after a few seconds. 
28.8k or better is the *only* way to play. Note: If you are setting up a 
server, the person with the fastest line should be a server. Even a 28.8k 
modem is too slow for a game with more than three to four people. ISDN (at 
least) is recommended for a server.

[17-2] Starting a game of Quake
======
1.   Run Q95.BAT with the following command line parameters -NOIPX 
-WINMEM 8 -WINPACK 12. Ie, bring up a dos box, go to your Quake dir (the 
default is c:\quake_sw) and type the following: 'Q95.BAT -NOIPX -WINMEM 8 
-WINPACK 12', without the quotes. This will start Quake and set up its 
TCP/IP stuff. Make sure you have quit *all* other applications before 
loading Quake, as it will make Quake slower, more jerky, and will probably 
crash your machine when you quit Quake.

2.   Go to the 'Multiplayer' menu. Look at section [4-2-5] for information 
on how to setup a game. That section gives you details of what each of the 
options means.

3.   Thats it! Other players can now connect to your computer via the
internet. You will need to give them you ip address, so they can connect to
your game of Quake. A good place to find people to play is the channel 
#quake on IRC.

[17-3] Joining a game of Quake
======
1.   Run Q95.BAT with the following command line parameters -NOIPX 
-WINMEM 8 -WINPACK 12. Ie, bring up a dos box, go to your Quake dir (the 
default is C:\quake_sw) and type the following: 'Q95.BAT -NOIPX -WINMEM 8 
-WINPACK 12', without the quotes. This will start Quake and set up its 
TCP/IP stuff. Make sure you have quit *all* other applications before 
loading Quake, as it will make Quake slower, more jerky, and will probably
crash your machine when you quit Quake.

2.   Press the [~] key. This will bring the console up. You need to type a 
in a few commands to connect to the server. Type 'CONNECT XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX',
where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the ip address. An example of this would be 
'CONNECT 134.533.127.124'. Don't try that, I just made it up for an 
example! Note: The ip address does not have to 12 digits long... for 
example, some ip's are in the format XXX.XXX.XXX.XX.
     If that worked then you will see the following: 'TRYING...' on the
console. You can then expect to see the message 'STILL TRYING...' about two
or three more times. 

4.    You should now, hopefully, be connected to the Quake server... happy
blasting. 

====
[18] Multiplayer: Network
====

[18-1] System Requirements
======
     Quake - newest version available. This is necessary to ensure both you
and your opponents versions of Quake are compatible.
     Windows 95. You can use DOS network drivers, but windows is quick and
easy for network games of Quake. 
     16mb RAM. If you don't have this, you can't play Quake in Windows 95.
     NE2000 compatible network card. You can get these for around £25 ($45)
from a computer shop. You also need two terminators and some network cable.
Expect to pay around £75 ($135) for two network cards, cable, and
terminators. 

[18-2] Starting a game of Quake
======
1.   Run Q95.BAT with the following command line parameters -NOIPX 
-WINMEM 8 -WINPACK 12. Ie, bring up a dos box, go to your Quake dir (the 
default is c:\quake_sw) and type the following: 'Q95.BAT -NOIPX -WINMEM 8 
-WINPACK 12', without the quotes. This will start Quake and set up its 
TCP/IP stuff. Make sure you have quit *all* other applications before 
loading Quake, as it will make Quake slower, more jerky, and will probably 
crash your machine when you quit Quake.

2.   Go to the 'Multiplayer' menu. Look at section [4-2-5] for information
on how to setup a game. That section gives you details of what each of the 
options means.

3.   Start the game and wait for people to connect.

[18-3] Joining a game of Quake
======
1.   Run Q95.BAT with the following command line parameters -NOIPX 
-WINMEM 8 -WINPACK 12. Ie, bring up a dos box, go to your Quake dir (the 
default is C:\quake_sw) and type the following: 'Q95.BAT -NOIPX -WINMEM 8 
-WINPACK 12', without the quotes. This will start Quake and set up its 
TCP/IP stuff. Make sure you have quit *all* other applications before 
loading Quake, as it will make Quake slower, more jerky, and will probably 
crash your machine when you quit Quake.

2.   Press the [~] key. This will bring the console up. Type 'CONNECT'.
Quake will hunt for games of Quake in progress. Type 'SLIST' for a list of
all the games. Select the game you wish to play in, and press enter.
     If that worked then you will see the following: 'TRYING...' on the
console. You can then expect to see the message 'STILL TRYING...' about two
or three more times. 

3.   You should now be connected....

====
[19] Multiplayer: Troubleshooting
====
     LOTS and LOTS of things can, and do, go wrong with Multiplayer games 
of Quake, and these are probably the most boring things in the world to 
have to explain to people. So, for your multiplaying pleasure, I present 
the top multiplayer Quake problems... and solve them (hopefully).

[19-1] Unable to connect
======
     'UNABLE TO CONNECT' - The ip you typed in is either incorrect or not
connected to the internet at the present time. It is also possible that 
Quake can't find the ip... maybe the server is having problems. You may 
also want to check that your connection to the internet hasn't died. 
Sometimes you can get 'bumped' off the network in times of heavy usage (ie
weekends).

[19-2] No response
======
     'NO RESPONSE' - Your machine can't find the server. Same as above 
really. Your machine may also be so far away from the server (ie 1000's of 
miles away) that it goes through so many routers your connection gets 
'lost'. Try again...

[19-3] Server Full
======
     'SERVER FULL' - Either there is too many people on the server you are
trying to connect to, or the number of spaces available for that game has 
run out. Ie, the server starts a four player game, four players connect, no 
more people can log on to the server.

[19-4] Phone jack appears on screen
======
     Arghhhh. I *hate* this. A picture of a disconnected phone jack and 
cable appears, and you have been disconnected from the server. Sometimes 
(especially on direct connect) this will just keep on happening. Really, 
really annoying. 

[19-5] Frag count freeze
======
     Another annoying bug. When you finish the level and the frag counter
appears the game *can* freeze. In fact, everything freezes. Even Quake. You
have to restart the game and try to reconnect. 

[19-6] Packet drivers with PDIPX
======
     There is a bug that stops a server running on this combination from 
responding to the slist command.  Use the patched version of PDIPX included
with Quake to correct this problem.

[19-7] SLIST sees no servers
======
     Some PCMCIA ethernet cards and PPP drivers will not do the UDP 
broadcasts needed for the SLIST command (search for local games from the 
menu) to function correctly.  In these cases you must connect to a Quake 
game using either its IP address or hostname (DNS resolvable hostname, not
the hostname variable in Quake).

[19-8] "BW_OpenSocket failed: 5"
======
     This error is specific to the Beame and Whitesdie TCP/IP stack.  This 
stack uses DOS file handles as it's socket handles.  This error occurs when
DOS runs out of file handles. You need to increase the number specified by 
"FILES=" in the DOS config.sys file.

[19-9] Severe lag using TCP/IP under Win95
======
     Occasionaly when you first connect in to a Quake game using Win95
TCP/IP you will experience severe lag and not be able to control your
player's actions.  This usually clears up in 10 to 15 seconds.  
     There is apparently a strange limbo state for Microsoft's File and
Print sharing.  This has been seen when it was installed and then later
removed, but it still appears on the menus.  For some unknown reason
this causes severe lag for a Quake game.  You need to go back and make
sure that it is either completely installed or removed.

====
[20] Quake C
====
     If you want to send me some QuakeC stuff, please do so. A nice little
summary would be great.

---------
Appendixes
---------
====
[25] Level Editors
====
     No level editors have yet been released, but there are lots and lots
currently in development.... They are listed below.
     Thanks to Joost Schuur, maintainer of (the now dead) Aftershock, for 
almost *all* of the level editor information.

[25-1] THRED
======
Jon Mavor ([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://www.winternet.com/~jlowell/thred)
Operating System: Windows 95

     THRED Features:

     Edit mode preview that will include everything from wireframe to a 
texture mapped & light sourced real-time updated map preview.
     Walkthrough & 'live' positioning of the viewpoint in all preview 
modes. 
     Support for concave brushes (see my description of brushes to find out 
why this is cool). When exported to .MAP format, concave brushes are broken
up into multiple convex brushes. 
     Load & save brushes. 
     Initial brush shapes are cube, spheroid and cylinder, more will be 
added as time goes on. 
     Brushes can be rotated, scaled, translated and sheared on any axis. 
     Dialogs will allow you to create stairs, rings, and other map elements 
which you can then rotate, scale and place in your map. 
     Realtime CSG allows you to truly preview your map as you build it 
     Dynamic lighting in the editor will allow you to place lights for 
dramatic effects without leaving THRED. 
     Full perspective texture mapper, the user will be able to select a 
polygon or groups of polygons while walking around in the world and change 
the texture.
     They will also be able to align it etc (ala buildEd). 
     Functions to assist aligning of brushes with parts of the world that 
are  already there. 
     Automatic scaling of complex objects down to elements that Quake can 
handle. 
     Undo system.

[25-2] MUQE - Multi User Quake Editor
======
John Edwards ([email-masked])

     The author hopes to produce a winsock based server for Windows NT that
will enable multple users to edit the same level in real time over the 
Internet (wow!). Planned is a server module and a corresponding API for all
programmers of other Quake editors to build into their own level editors. 

[25-3] SpoogEd
======
([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://news.wko.com:5555/)
Operating System: Windows 95 

     A fully functional Quake level edit with 3D preview/etc. Possible 
features (ie: in the works right now, but may not work out) are texture 
mapping/lighting for the 3D preview, character 3D preview with ability to 
use point and click to change textures.

[25-4] QPED
======
John 'Renaldo' Onarheim ([email-masked])
Operating System: Windows 95

     Game style MAP file level editor written in MS Visual C++ 4, using 
DirectDraw/3D.

     Will include:  

	  Switchable edit & preview modes 
	  Wireframe, solid & texture preview modes 
	  Sounds & music during edit/preview modes 
	  Automatic maskot sprite level explorer during preview mode 
	  Automatic maskot sprite level inspector during edit mode 
	  Simple internal bsp file builder for QPED 

     Will not include: 

	  Quake bsp file builder for preprocessed data files. 
	  Moving monsters or sprites 

[25-5] Tremor
======
Chris Houserfile (http://www.tayloru.edu/~chouser) 
Squirrel Eiserlohfile (http//www.css.tayloru.edu/~squirrel)
Operating System: X-Windows

     .MAP editor for Linux/X (without .BSP conversion): 
	  Multiple user-defined editing "viewplane" windows, each 
orientable either independantly or relatively dependant on other 
viewplanes. 
	  Multiple 3D camera views, with togglable perspective 
	  3D apparent depth aids, such as Z-dependant pointsize and 
brightness. 

[25-6] AutoQuake
======
'Squid' (email unknown)

     A .MAP editor which runs in AutoCAD. It will: 
 
	  plot levels 
	  use all Acads 3d rendering for previews 
	  create librarys of level parts, tricked out doorways, ceilings 
etc as Wblocks 
	  use Dxfout for rendering (with textures in 3d studio) 
	  use the Acad stuff for those who have access to it (Arrays Copy 
rotate scale stetch etc.) 
	  feature Unprotected LISP code you can modify or expand upon 

     Needs AutoCAD in order to run.

[25-7] Quake Studio
======
Richard Felkerfile ([email-masked])
Homepage: Epicenter... where the Quake hits hardest 
(http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/felker/epicentr.htm)
Operating System: Windows 3.1 and 3.11

     A Quake .MAP file editor with a good 3D interface and possibly a 3D 
camera view.

[25-8] QuakeEd
======
John Carmack ([email-masked])
b. ([email-masked])
and others.
Homepage: Quake Developers Page (http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/)
Operating System: NeXTstep

     John Carmack, head programmer of id released the source code to his 
own editor, QuakeEd, which runs under NeXTstep to the general public. B. 
later on began to clean up these sources and apply a set of patches to 
them. QuakeEd is a GUI editor that produces .MAP files that need to be 
processed with qbsp/light/vis.

[25-9] QEU - Quake Editor Utilities
======
Raphael Quinet ([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~quinet/games/QEU/)
Operating System: DOS

     Still only a set of command line tools to manipulate the .PAK file, 
but considering Raphael practically started the Doom editing craze with 
DEU (DOOM Editor Utilities), he's sure to produce a true editor soon.

[25-10] Quest
=======
Chris Carollo ([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~carollo/quest.html)
Operating System: DOS and Windows 95

     Originally a tool to extract bits from the .PAK file, it has now grown
to an editor that displays wireframe views of maps.

[25-11] QMAPhack
=======
Rob Shields ([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://www.eve.net/~rshields/)
Operating System: Windows 95

     Originally just a tool to extract lumps from a .BSP file and repacking
it, QMapHack promises to be a full fledge editor with a GUI to create new 
levels soon.

[25-12] Shaker
=======
Matt Houser ([email-masked])
Homepage: (http://www.canweb.net/~fisty/shaker/)
Operating System: X-Windows

     Formerly known as 'qed', this editor focuses on creating .MAP format 
files that can later be processed by id's tools qbsp, light and vis.

[25-13] EdQuake
=======
CircleA Entertainment ([email-masked])
Homepage: http://www.netusa1.net/~smitting/edquake/
Operating System: DOS and Windows 95

     The first level editor made available to the public... It's a 2D
editor like DEU, but don't let that out you off too much. Here are the
authors reasons for making the editor 2D:

     'Our philosophy is ease of use, not a complicated editor. I know how 
much easier it is to understand a 2d editor, and the general public will 
want to have an easy, quick editor.  But others want detailed options. We 
have both.  Other people will argue that 3d vector point graphics is the 
better way to edit levels, but I believe they're wrong, and apparently id 
software believes they are wrong; their screen shots are of a 2d editor.'

     If you liked DEU your like this. If not, it takes some getting used
to. It is, however, an editor. Go make some levels and send them to me!
		
====
[26] Quake resources on the internet
====
     In this section I hope to mention every major Quake resource on the 
internet. By resource I mean World Wide Web (WWW) sites, File Transfer
Protocal (FTP) sites, newsgroups and IRC channels. Expect this section to
take a few months before it's complete...
     NOTE: If you resource isn't listed here, please send me an email and
tell me.

[26-1] WWW sites
======
   - id Software's site 
     http://www.idsoftware.com
     If you have problems accessing this site, then try:
     http://206.61.48.163

   - The Quake Stomping Grounds 
     http://www.stomped.com
     Now the best and most complete source of Quake information available
     on the WWW. This site seems to have new information and gossip on
     Quake every day, and also boasts a large file area. Check it out

   - Blues Quake Rag
     http://www.panix.com/~sheaslip/quake/
     I love this page. The best news page out there by far. Go look at it
     *right now*.     

   - Aftershock, where Quake awakes 
     http://www.nuqneH.org/aftershock
     Sadly, Aftershock is no more. Joost Schuur (the creator of Aftershock)
     is, however, continuing to maintain the files section and the popular 
     Aftershock Quake server.
   
   - The Quake Development support pages
     http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/
     If you are intrested in developing add-ons for Quake, then visit this
     page. It's also worth a look if you want to check out the newest 
     information on any of the Quake add-ons in development.
     
   - Epicenter, where the Quake hits hardest...
     http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/felker/epicentr.htm
     A nice little site, slanting towards development of Quake levels. The
     creator of this site is the same person who brought us the first
     Quake add-on level, Telix. Also contains the latest Quake news.

   - Quakeworld... the Quake planet
     http://www.magicnet.net/~jza/quakeworld/
     A new site, which came to light a little before Aftershock went down.
     It's good, and worth bookmarking, although the news section looks a 
     little unstructured. Has the potential to become one of the best Quake
     sites out there.

   - The Quake Clans
     http://www.lanline.com/~moebius/quake/
     The homepage of Quake Clans. Contains information on all the clans out
     there, and how to join them. After reading the stuff on this site you
     will want to join a clan immediately.

   - Redwood's Quake page
     http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~stm9233/quake.html
     This page has been around for a while, but what makes it good is the
     creators bluntness; check this out:
     'Next Generation On-line reports that id has identified the Quake 
      pirate and has notified authorities. They reportedly have not decided
      to put anybody in jail yet, but can if they so desire. Burn baby 
      burn! I hope this person(s) becomes a big fat guy named bubba's new 
      girlfriend in the joint. I'm obviously not one to hide my opinions.'

   - Mr. Wolf's Quake Den
     http://www.vvm.com/~hfowler/hug.htm
     This site has sadly closed down. A pity considering it was very good.

   - QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
     http://www.quaaaaake.com/
     This site is worth a look. Not too hot in the files department though.
     Easy to remember URL, too.

[26-2] FTP sites
======
     This list is a copy of section [1-11], but included here for quick
reference.

ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/                       (California, USA)

ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake                 (California, USA)
quake.best.com/mirrors/idsoftware/                      (California, USA)
ftp.gamesdomain.com/pub/companies/id/quake/             (Tennesee, USA)
ftp.cssweb.com/pub/games/idstuff/quake/                 (Kentuky, USA)
sparky.bright.net/quake/                                (Ohio, USA)
ftp.stomped.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                      (Minesota, USA)
www.pht.com/pub/gamehead/id/                            (USA)
ftp.technomancer.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                 (Virginia, USA)
ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/doom/idstuff/quake/       (Arizona, USA)
ftp.feist.com/pub/pc/games/quake/                       (Kansas, USA)
ftp.ameritel.net/idsoftware/quake/                      (Maryland, USA)
ftp.getquake.com/pub/quake/                             (Kansas, USA)
quake.osiriscorp.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                 (New York, USA)
iclass.com/pub/quake/                                   (Utah, USA)
ftp.islandnet.com/mirrors/idsoftware/                   (Victoria, Canada)
ftp.orst.edu/pub/doom/idstuff/quake/                    (Oregon, USA)
ftp.ais.net/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake/                  (Illinois, USA)
ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/         (New York, USA)
mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/idstuff/quake/        (Virginia, USA)

garfield.sch.bme.hu/pub/idstuff/quake/                  (Budapest, Hungary)
idmirror.netvision.be/idstuff/quake/                    (Heverlee, Belgium)
ftp.flexnet.net/pub/quake/                              (England)
ftp.passagen.se/pub/idstuff/                            (Sweden)
ftp.pk.edu.pl/pub/games/id/idstuff/quake/               (Cracow, Poland)
camel.frtk-campus.mipt.ru/pub/idstuss/quake             (Moscow, Russia)
rulhmpc49.LeidenUniv.nl/pub/mirrors/idsoft/             (Leiden, Holland)
ftp.gig.nl/pub/idstuff/quake/                           (Amsterdam Holland)
ftp.volftp.vol.it/pub2/idstuff/quake/                   (Cagliari, Italy)
ftp.origo.telenor.no/pub/quake/                         (Oslo, Norway)
ftp.spel.postnet.se/pub/games/id/                       (Sweden)
ftp.bnd.de/pub/quake/                                   (Berlin, Germany)
ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/pc/msdos/games/doom/idstuff/quake/ (Berlin, Germany)                                                       
ftp.luth.se/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/               (Sweden)
ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/        (Sweden)
flinux.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/idsoftware/idstuff/quake/      (Austria)
ftp.calvacom.fr/pub/pc/doom/idstuff/quake/              (France)

hyperactive.com.au/pub/games/idstuff/quake/             (Sydney, Australia)
ftp.powerup.com.au/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/        (Australia)

ftp.sun.ac.za/pub/msdos/idgames/idstuff/quake/          (South Africa)

[26-3] Newsgroups
======
     alt.games.quake
     This newsgroup is *dead*... do not post in it... It's surprising how
     many people do though.

     rec.games.computer.quake.announce
     This newsgroup is used to post details of new events in the Quake
     world, such as new versions of Quake being released. The latest 
     version of the FAQ is posted here

     rec.games.computer.quake.editing
     All things to do with editing Quake, be it level editing, .mdl
     editing, texture editing or just hacking the game up. The combined
     thoughts of everyone in this group means that we can expect some
     really cool levels...

     rec.games.computer.quake.misc
     Stuff that doesn't fit in anywhere else. Usually contains Quake
     hardware problems. 

     rec.games.computer.quake.playing
     Tips, cheats, ideas, deathmatch tactics. Everyone should read this
     newsgroup.

     rec.games.computer.quake.servers
     New servers being announced and more. Also contains people whining
     about bad pings.

[26-4] IRC channels
======
     #quake
     Undernet
     The best place to discuss Quake on the internet.

     #quake
     #EFNET
     The second best place to discuss Quake. Not quite as good as the
     undernet's version, but it's ok.

     Thats about it. I expect some of the Quake clans to start their own
channels. I'll give you details as and when it happens.

====
[30] Version History
====

1.0  First Beta. Released only on Usenet. 
     Release date: Late June 1996

1.1  Second Beta. Released on irc only. 
     Release date: Early July 1996

1.2  Third Beta. Released on irc only. FAQ now contains multiplayer info.
     Release date: Late July 1996

2.0  First full release. Lots and lots of information now stuffed into the
     FAQ. FAQ is now twice the size of the first beta, which was released
     two months ago.
     Release date: 7th September 1996

                           t  h  e    e  n  d

===========================================================================
Well, that's it! I hope you found the FAQ helpful in whatever it was you
wanted to know about. If you have any comments, suggestions, additions or
complaints, email me at [email-masked]'

                                                             Toby Goldstone
===========================================================================
Oh, and if you haven't registered Quake, do so NOW. Call 1-800-idgames in
North America to register shareware quake. In Europe buy Quake from your
favourite software retailer.

Do it now (unless it's night, of course).
===========================================================================